With the following restrictions: Preferred Lies.
Last updated: 12.12.2013 06:49
The course was established in 1912 by a group of local enthusiasts and modified a year later under the expert guidance of Dr Alister MacKenzie, after which an exhibition match was played involving Abe Mitchell and Tom Williamson. Major features of the course are the Cock and Carr Becks which meander through the course. The Cock Beck is reputed to have run with blood during the Battle of Towton, the most infamous conflict of the War of the Roses in 1461.
Two loops of nine holes make the course eminently adaptable for rounds of 9,18,27 or 36 holes played over gently undulating parkland and suitable for all ages and abilities. The course and facilities have benefitted from significant investment over recent years with all the bunkers having been redesigned and rebuilt, under the guidance of architects David and Bruce Weller.
Modern locker rooms and independent visitors' changing rooms are complemented by a large lounge, extensive dining rooms and spacious balcony at first floor level, offering panoramic views over the course.
The 15th, 16th, 17th & 18th have often been described as amongst the finest finishing holes in the North of England.