Garforth is proud of its history and heritage and the part it has played in the development of our great game in the North of England.
We can trace our proud history back to 1912, when a group of local golfing enthusiasts came together to establish the course.
A year later, the much-acclaimed Dr Alister Mackenzie came on the scene and the 18 holes that members and guests love so much today came into being.
One of the great golf course creators, the good doctor, who also designed Augusta National, Cypress Point, Royal Melbourne and many other outstanding championship courses, put his special stamp on Garforth.
The completion of the modified course was celebrated with an exhibition match involving Abe Mitchell and Tom Williamson, two of the greatest golfers of their day.
Like today’s players they had to overcome the water hazards that are the Cock and Carr Becks, which meander across the course.
The Cock Beck has its own place in local history and is reputed to have run with blood during the Battle of Towton, the most infamous conflict of the War of the Roses in 1461.
Garforth’s course and facilities have benefitted from significant investment over recent years, with all the bunkers having been redesigned and rebuilt under the guidance of acclaimed modern course architects David and Bruce Weller.